We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
On Sunday North Korean propaganda outlets lashed out at South Korea over the U-turn, slamming the move as being contrary to the South’s calls for peace. Seoul and Washington revised the missile guidelines between the two countries on Tuesday.
The guidelines were revised to lift a decades-old ban on the South from using solid fuel for space rockets.
This move is expected to lead to the country developing space rockets and launching spy satellites to monitor North Korea.
Meari, one of the North’s propaganda websites, denounced the revised guidelines.
They said Seoul “has revealed its evil intentions for contention, saying the solid fuel-propelled space rockets allow the launch of low-orbit reconnaissance satellites, or that it will talk with the US on lifting restrictions on the range of ballistic missiles.”
South Korea is still prohibited from firing solid-fuel ballistic missiles with the
range of over 800 kilometers under the alliance accord first signed in 1979.
On Wednesday, the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae said the country will make continued efforts to “secure complete missile sovereignty.”
Another propaganda outlet, Uriminzokkiri TV, criticized South Korea’s move to increase military capabilities.
They labelled the South’s move a “contradictory attitude.”
JUST IN: Brexit chaos: MPs will get vote to block post-Brexit trade deals
The publication added: “The phrase South Korean authorities have said the most so far is probably ‘dialogue and peace’… they keep repeating this in front of us but as soon as they turn their back they act in a completely different manner.”
The articles mark the first time North Korean media outlets have reacted to the South’s revised missile guidelines.
This comes days after it was revealed North Korea fired a ship-based missile from waters off its east coast as the country ramps up its military capacities.
North Korea’s missile was launched from a ship in the East Sea earlier this month but has only been revealed in recent days.
Kim Jong-un plans ‘all guns blazing’ North Korean offensive [INTERVIEW]
Kim Jong-Un’s sister shuts down summit with Donald Trump [COMMENT]
Why Kim Jong-un is dubbed ‘literal god’ in North Korea [ANALYSIS]
The exact missile is unknown but officials have suggested the type of missile had been tested previously.
According to Seoul officials, the missile flew almost 100 kilometres.
Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesperson Col Kim Jun-rak said: “We see this as part of the North’s regular maritime exercise.
“We are closely monitoring the North’s military moves and maintain a tight readiness posture.”
The summertime exercise began earlier this month and is under way.
According to officials, the program usually lasts until around August.
North Korea’s last reported missile test was launched in April.
Multiple cruise missiles were fired from North Korea’s eastern coastal town of Munchon.
Cruise missiles fly at a low altitude and nearly skim the sea making them hard to detect.
North Korea is said to be increasing its military defence capabilities.
The country is focusing on developing conventional weapons as denuclearisation talks with the US have stalled.
In June, tensions escalated between the north and south when Pyongyang blew up an inter-Korean liaison office.
North Korea threatened to take military action after being enraged when anti-regime leaflets were sent via balloons from the south.
Source: Read Full Article