Shocking moment gunman stands out of sunroof and shoots dead two NYC teens playing basketball amid weekend of bloodshed

THIS is the shocking moment a gunman is seen standing out of the sunroof of a car and shooting dead two teens playing basketball in violence-ridden New York City on Sunday.

The fatal shooting was the latest in a string of gun violence plaguing the city in recent months.

On Monday, NYPD Chief Rodney Harrison released footage of the alleged suspect standing up through the sunroof of a late model Honda CRV and opening fire at the teens.

The incident happened approximately around 6.40 pm on Sunday at George Walker Park park in Brooklyn.

When police arrived, three teenagers were suffering from gunshot wounds. 16-year-old boy Kleimer P. Mendez was found laying on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound to his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

18-year-old Antonio Villa was also shot in the head and quickly rushed to King County Hospital in critical condition.

Police said Villa succumbed to his injuries on Monday, while another teen, 17, was struck in the leg and is in stable condition.

The teenagers reportedly lived in Cypress Hills, just a few blocks from the park.

No arrests have been made and the investigation about the shooting is ongoing.

New York City mayor Bill de Blasio expressed his condolences on Twitter late Sunday night, saying that no parent should ever have to bury a child.

"This is heartbreaking. His life was just beginning," the mayor tweeted. "Sending my thoughts and prayers to the families of these boys. No parent should ever have to bury a child."

According to NYPD, the fatal incident was one of fifteen shootings and seven homicides that police officers responded to on Sunday.

In addition to the teen boys, Juancarlos Ortega, 24, was killed in a double shooting outside a large gathering in the Bronx early Sunday morning.

Shaka Ifill, 40, was shot in the back in Central Queens on Sunday.

What's more, shootings also claimed the lives of a 32-year-old man in Brooklyn, a woman around 24 to 35, a 37-year-old man in the Bronx, and a 32-year-old man on Staten Island.

New York Times reports that New York City surpassed 400 shootings in the first half of the year for the first time since 2016, with 528 by the end of last month; the 205 shootings in June were the highest for that month since 1996, the police said.

The spike over NYC violence has since become entangled in a debate over the future of policing, which was sparked by the killing of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said that the number of shootings on Sunday remains "unacceptable," but police are steadily making efforts against violence.

“When we have a day with 15 shootings in New York City that’s not a success, there’s no other way to put that," Shea told NY1.

He continued: “There are still some challenges throughout New York City with repeat gun offenders, with the gang situation, with large groups on the street and how to tackle them in terms of alcohol and things of that nature.”

Meanwhile, Mayor Bill de Blasio attributed the coronavirus pandemic, the high unemployment rate, and the criminal justice system to the surge in violence during a daily briefing on Monday.

“Because we’re facing a perfect storm – and no one can doubt that – all of the combined crises and trauma together have created an abhorrent situation, where we saw crime uptick and a lot of the normal realities weren’t there to address it. We’ve got to fix that now,” the mayor said.

The mayor also called for a restart to the court system.

"We also have to restart all the pieces of the criminal justice system, to make sure that if God forbid, someone has committed an act of violence and means to do harm to their community members that we can do something about it."

He continued: "So the bottom line is our criminal justice system needs to get back to full strength, our courts not only need to reopen, they need to reopen fully as quickly as possible."

Source: Read Full Article