Prince Andrew could be ‘stripped of military roles’ after Epstein scandal as officers ‘uncomfortable toasting Duke'

PRINCE Andrew could be forced to quit up to nine military roles as pressure over his involvement in the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal mounts.

The Duke of York has not been at a single military event since he stepped back from royal duties two years ago – accused of having sex with one of Epstein's victims three times.

Officers are now said to have appeared uncomfortable at being asked to drink to the duke's health at the end of regimental dinners, The Times reports.

And Julian Perreira, a former lance sergeant who served three tours of Afghanistan, said Andrew's continued involvement in the case would “stain” the regiment’s history.

Mr Perreira told the publication: "Being allowed to retain his role as colonel of the Grenadier Guards and other military titles, Prince Andrew will put a stain on the regiment's proud history and will devalue the hard work of past and future generations of Grenadiers. 

"He must step down immediately."

Andrew, 61, became colonel of the Grenadier Guards in 2017 after inheriting the position from the Duke of Edinburgh.

It means he is colonel-in-chief to nine military units, regiments and corps – and only the Queen has the power to withdraw his titles.

Most read in News

ICE COLD

Chilling moment mum LIES to cops to protect partner who murdered her newborn son

'HEARTBROKEN'

I ordered my son PS5 for Xmas but when he opened box he got a DOG BED

HOME WORK

Kids could return to homeschooling after Covid ravages teaching staff

BLIZZARD BRITAIN

Exact date snow will return confirmed with BLIZZARDS and 6ins in places

Last week, Andrew's pal Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty of sex trafficking girls for paedophile Jeffrey Epstein to abuse.

In a separate civil case, Andrew is accused of sexually assaulting one of Epstein's victim's, Virginia Giuffre, three times when she was 17 – which he vehemently denies.

But Richard Kemp, retired colonel and ex commander of British troops in Afghanistan, believes Her Majesty would put her duty to the military before her family if Andrew’s legal troubles intensify.

He said: “If she decides it would be right for Andrew to forfeit his military titles she will do so, putting her duty to the forces above any family considerations or personal views.”

Andrew has already been rocked by claims he could be stripped of his Duke of York title if he loses the lawsuit brought by Ms Giuffre.

And royal courtiers have reportedly discussed plans to send him into “internal exile” — including stopping him using his title and other options, such as giving up all his charity links.

High-powered lawyers for him and Ms Giuffre, 38, will go head-to-head at a video conference hearing in New York on Tuesday to decide the future of her lawsuit.

Before they do, a secret deal between Epstein and Ms Giuffre will be made public for the first time today – after Andrew's lawyers lobbied for it to go public.

The 2009 settlement had been kept under seal, but judges last month ordered it to be released on January 3 unless "good cause" could be shown otherwise.

Andrew Brettler, the duke's lawyer, said the undisclosed documents will release him from liability as they cover "royalty" and anyone Virginia might sue.

But her lawyer David Boies countered that it applied "at most" to people involved in underlying litigation in Florida, where Epstein had a home and his "house of horrors", and Andrew should not use it as a "get out of jail free card".

    Source: Read Full Article