Four adorable puppies with ultra-deadly disease rack up £5.3k medical bill

Four young puppies who contracted an ultra-deadly contagious disease are receiving life-saving treatment in intensive care after falling sick with the medical bill already reaching a whopping £5,300.

The eight-week-old cockapoos were rescued by RSPCA Essex South, Southend and District branch at the end of June, after being abandoned by their previous owner, writes the Mirror.

They were rushed to vets where they were diagnosed with parvovirus – a highly contagious and deadly disease that attacks the intestines.

READ MORE: Small dogs could be 'snatched' by aggressive seagulls during nesting season

The fluffy pups, named Huey, Louie Chloe an Zoe, have racked up a whopping £5,300 in emergency care, as they need expensive medication and tube feeding.

Branch manager, Kathy Butler, said: "Poor Huey is the weakest of the three and has been struggling to hold his head up or keep his food down.

"The staff have been feeding him little and often but his little 1kg (2.2lb) body has been battered by this awful virus.

"Louie and Chloe are a little stronger and brighter but haven't shown any interest in eating or drinking on their own so continue to be tube and syringe fed by staff.

"They had expensive antiviral medication for three days as well as ongoing fluids and supportive care.

  • 'Lunatic' motorist knocked down pair of nude cyclists on charity bike ride

"Some of the staff had to feed Huey every two hours and then sit with him to prop his head up. It's been really touch and go."

The current vet bill totals more than £5,000 and the branch is appealing to dog lovers to help cover the cost by donating to their special appeal.

Kathy said: "Parvovirus is an horrific infection and, sadly, it can kill young, unvaccinated dogs very quickly.

  • Meghan Markle missed out on 'secret passion' while working as royal, says pal

"After taking in Huey, Louie and Chloe we also took in a fourth cockapoo puppy, called Zoe, who was displaying similar symptoms.

She added: "Parvovirus is an horrific infection and, sadly, it can kill young, unvaccinated dogs very quickly.

"We're doing our best to help other dogs at the same site but can't go into further detail at the moment."

To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

READ MORE:

  • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage.
  • Boy, 4, mauled to death by leopard after being dragged from backyard in horror attack

  • Pet cats to be leashed after vote as city crackdown on 'free-roaming' felines

  • 'Massive primate skull' found in North American forest sparks Bigfoot frenzy

  • Massive bat hanging outside house is 'what a demon looks like' as nightmares realised

Source: Read Full Article