Boris Johnson to address the nation at 5pm on lockdown anniversary

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

The Prime Minister will address the nation at 5pm after a minute’s silence for the 125,000 lives lost to the pandemic over the last 12 months.

Boris Johnson will lead the Downing Street press conference from the No10 podium on March 23 to mark the anniversary of the first national lockdown.

Speaking ahead of the address, the PM said the last year has taken a "huge toll" on the whole country and gave his condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

He said the anniversary is an opportunity to reflect on the pat year, calling the last 12 months "one of the most difficult in history."

Mr Johnson said: "The last 12 months has taken a huge toll on us all, and I offer my sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

"Today, the anniversary of the first lockdown, is an opportunity to reflect on the past year – one of the most difficult in our country’s history.

“We should also remember the great spirit shown by our nation over this past year."

A year ago, the Prime Minister led a very different press conference, telling Brits Covid is the "biggest threat" the UK has faced for "decades."

He went on to say coronavirus is an "invisible killer," a chilling omen to the now 125,000 – and counting – lives lost in the pandemic.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Mr Johnson then warned it was vital to stop the spread of the virus so the NHS doesn’t become overwhelmed, and finally asked people to stay home.

The first lockdown lasted a full four months until late June when restrictions began to lift and the government later introduced the Eat Out To Help Out scheme in August.

Eat Out To Help Out was designed to kick-start the UK's economy by re-opening hospitality venues that had been closed and offer customers the chance to buy food at 50% off.

Freedom was short-lived however, and cases spiked, forcing parts of the country back into lockdown before a second short national lockdown was implemented in November.

This is a breaking news story and is constantly being updated.

Please refresh the page regularly to get the latest updates.

Reporters working on dailystar.co.uk will be working to source the latest information, reaction, pictures and video related to this story.

You can also follow us on Twitter @DailyStar to get the latest news updates 24 hours a day.

Or download the Daily Star app for flash alerts on the biggest stories of the day.

Why not also subscribe to receive our regular Daily Star news bulletins? You can do this on this page by simply entering your email address above and hitting 'subscribe'.

  • Boris Johnson
  • Coronavirus

Source: Read Full Article