BOOZY Wayne Rooney has ditched the drink and is seeking treatment to help him quit for good.
The ex-England and Manchester United ace, 33, will have sessions with a counsellor after wife Coleen tore him off a strip.
His decision to go dry comes just days after The Sun revealed that Roo was cutting short his stint in the US and returning to the UK in a bid to save his 11-year marriage.
A source said: “Wayne was drinking a fair amount in the States and it was causing huge problems with Coleen.
“It was like he was on self-destruct — he was boozing at home late into the night.
“Now he’s moving back in October, he wants to sort it out for good. He wants a completely fresh start and knows losing his unhealthy relationship with the bottle would be the best thing for them all.”
Wayne, who has four kids with Coleen — Kai, nine, Klay, six, Kit, three, and 18-month-old Cass — previously had counselling in 2016 to help him deal with England crashing out of the Euros.
The source said: “Coleen urged him to get help for his drinking, too, but at the time he wasn’t listening.”
But with Col, 33, becoming increasingly unhappy, Wayne signed a shock 18-month contract with Derby County last week, to be a player-coach.
He had joined DC United last summer and quickly became their top goal-scorer — but at the same time his personal life was spiralling out of control.
In January he was arrested for being drunk and disorderly at Washington airport following a flight from the UAE.
Then in February, The Sun revealed he had enjoyed a boozy bender with an American barmaid while in Florida with his teammates.
Star's own goal antics
- 2010: Roo is propped up by pals after smoking a cig and allegedly relieving himself outside a Manchester nightclub.
- 2012: He is fined £200,000 by boss Alex Ferguson for poor performance after night out.
- 2014: Wayne sinks beers in Las Vegas after England crash out of the World Cup in group stages. Also gets so drunk with Piers Morgan he falls into plant pot.
- 2015: He is knocked out by pal Phil Bardsley during boozy party.
- l2017: Is arrested after being caught three times over drink-drive limit while driving party girl Laura Simpson’s car.
Furious Coleen later took off her wedding ring and told Wayne to sort his life out for the sake of their sons.
She and the kids had been living with Wayne in America but moved back to the UK this summer.
When she discovered Roo was also returning, she was overjoyed, telling pals: “We’re coming home.”
Source: Read Full Article