KAYA Scodelario has slammed Noel Clarke’s ‘naked auditions’ and reveals that she lost out on a major Hollywood role by refusing to strip for a "big director".
The Skins star shared a series of tweets about The Kidulthood actor who has been accused of a range of acts – including sharing sexually explicit pictures and videos without consent.
The actress, best known for playing Effy in the E4 teen drama, then shared her own similar experiences of being asked to audition for a role naked.
"I had an audition for a job a few years ago," she tweeted to her 659k followers.
"It said ‘she just needs to come in. Take her clothes off and that’s all’. I was terrified.
"Luckily I have an agent who swiftly said there was no way that was going to happen.
"This was a big movie. A big director. A big ‘opportunity’"
She added: "MANY MANY young actors do not have the safety net of a caring agent to protect them.
"They will assume that it is normal for an actresses worth to be measured by the body they have.
"By the amount of skin they are willing to show. We have been conditioned to believe this.
"Different casting, between me and another actress.
"Both worked very hard to impress this notoriously difficult director. auditioned multiple times.
"He emailed our agents ‘whoever agrees to go nude 1st gets the job’.
"The movie had no nudity in it. He just wanted 2 see who’d say yes
"You know what’s fucked? Im going to wake up in the morning with anxiety about tweeting.
"Despite the fact that I haven’t named names. I’m still going to feel scared.
"The women who come forward openly are so brave. I am in awe of you all. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."
It comes as:
- Noel Clarke liked a tweet about 'learning from your mistakes' days before the allegations came to light
- Sky halted Bulletproof filming after the star was accused of sexual misconduct
- Noel Clarke's Kidulthood co-star Jaime Winstone told him 'time's up' as Michaela Coel backed accusers
The allegations about Noel, which have been fiercely denied by the married director, relate to a period between 2004 and 2019, the Guardian reports.
Sky have now confirmed they have "halted" work with the actor following the claims.
Clarke starred in Sky's crime drama Bulletproof, which had a fourth series commissioned in January.
The broadcaster said: "Effective immediately, we have halted Noel Clarke's involvement in any future Sky productions."
Noel Clarke's Bulletproof co-star, Ashley Walters, posted a statement on social media saying: "My thoughts are with the women who have come forward and told their awful stories, I am in shock and deeply saddened by what I have heard on a multitude of levels.
"I could never condone behaviour of this nature neither in nor out of the workplace, and whilst Noel has been a friend and colleague for several years, I cannot standby and ignore these allegations.
"Sexual harassment, abuse and bullying have no place in our industry. Every woman has the right to a safe workplace and moving forward I pledge my dedication to this."
Among the 20 women who have made allegations are Brotherhood producer Gina Powell.
She alleged he told her he planned to "f**k and fire her" before changing his mind and keeping her on board.
The producer, who worked with Clarke for three years between 2014 and 2017, also claimed the actor bragged about having secret films of naked auditions.
She alleged he once showed her a covert recording of a naked audition by Jahannah James, who starred in Brotherhood.
It comes after Bafta stripped his award for Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema, which he only received on April 10.
He had been made aware of the allegations before he appeared onstage at the Royal Albert Hall to collect the award.
The Guardian also reported Bafta had also been alerted 13 days before the ceremony – but said it was provided with "no evidence" that would allow it to investigate.
But the committee said today it "did not know about any allegations relating to Noel Clarke prior to the announcement of the OBCC award on 29 March".
The actor is currently appearing in ITV’s new drama series Viewpoint.
Numerous women are reported to have broken their silence after the ceremony.
They allege Mr Clarke is a serial abuser and uses his power to prey on and harass female colleagues.
Mr Clarke said in a statement to the publication: “In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.
"If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.
"I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.”
Through his lawyers, Clarke categorically denied every allegation that the publication put to him.
He allegedly accepts he once made inappropriate comments about one woman, for which he later apologised.
In a 29-page letter, his lawyers said he denies all of the other allegations.
Source: Read Full Article