'Counting On' Canceled Following Josh Duggar's Arrest

TLC is done with the Duggar family. The network has canceled Counting On in the wake of Josh Duggar’s April 2021 arrest on charges of possessing and receiving child pornography, according to reports. The show premiered in 2015 and has aired for 12 seasons. 

TLC pulls the plug on ‘Counting On’ 

Us Weekly broke the news of the show had been canceled. 

“TLC will not be producing additional seasons of Counting On,” the network said in a statement to the publication. “TLC feels it is important to give the Duggar family the opportunity to address their situation privately.”

Showbiz Cheat Sheet reached out to the Duggar family for comment on Counting On’s cancellation but did not hear back by the time of publication. 

In a statement shared on Instagram, Jinger Duggar said she “wholeheartedly agree[s]” with the network’s decision not to renew Counting On. She added that she and her husband, Jeremy Vuolo, “are excited for the next chapter in our lives.”

People had petitioned TLC to cut ties with the Duggars, cancel ‘Counting On’ 

Outraged viewers had been calling on TLC to cut ties with the Duggar family ever since Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar’s eldest son Josh Duggar, 33, was arrested in late April. 

Duggar did not appear on Counting On. However, a Change.org petition argued that his family “should no longer have a platform” due to the allegations against him. “Enough is enough. Too many people have been harmed,” the petition’s creator argued. As of June 29, nearly 29,000 people had signed the petition. 

In 2015, TLC canceled the Duggar family’s previous series, 19 Kids and Counting, after allegations surfaced that Duggar — who did appear on that show — had molested multiple girls, including several of his younger sisters, when he was a teen. 

After his 2021 arrest, TLC issued a statement saying it was “saddened to learn about the continued troubles involving Josh Duggar.”

19 Kids and Counting has not aired since 2015,” the network said. “TLC canceled the show on the heels of prior allegations against Josh Duggar and he has not appeared on air since then.”

Josh Duggar’s trial delayed to November 2021

The current charges against Duggar stem from a May 2019 incident, when authorities allege he downloaded material depicting the sexual abuse of children under the age of 12. He has pleaded not guilty and is currently free on bond.

Duggar’s trial was originally set to begin July 6. His lawyers had requested the trial be delayed until February 2022. On June 29, a judge set a new trial date of Nov. 30, Fox News reported. 

“Josh Duggar has been charged in a two-count indictment. He has pled not guilty to both charges and we intend to defend this case aggressively and thoroughly,” Duggar’s attorneys Justin Gelfand, Travis W. Story, and Greg Payne said in a statement shared with Showbiz Cheat Sheet in May.

Duggar’s wife Anna Duggar is currently pregnant with the couple’s seventh child.

How to get help: If you or someone you know has been sexually abused, text HOME to the Crisis Text Line at 741741 for free and confidential support.

Check out Showbiz Cheat Sheet on Facebook!

Source: Read Full Article