Tokyo Olympics LIVE: Ten Team GB athletes self-isolating, Coco Gauff tests POSITIVE for Covid-19 – latest updates

THE 2020 Olympic Games are about to begin a year later than originally planned.

The opening ceremony gets underway on Friday but before that Team GB are in action in the women's football tournament on Wednesday.

There will be no fans present in what promises to be a bizarre Games in Japan with the local government wary of strains of coronavirus being brought into the country.

JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)

Stay up to date with all the updates from Tokyo in our live blog…

  • Joe Brophy

    COR BLIMEY

    South Africa Team chief medical officer Dr Phatho Zondi admitted they were surprised when Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi tested positive for coronavirus.

    Zondi said: “Every member of Team South Africa required full medical clearance as an eligibility criteria.

    “In addition, they were encouraged to isolate for two weeks pre-departure, monitor health daily, report any symptoms, and produce two negative nasopharyngeal PCR tests taken within 96 hours of departure, as per Tokyo 2020 requirements.

    “The timing of the positive results suggests that the PCR test in these individuals was done during the incubation period of the infection, which is how they could be negative in South Africa and then positive in Japan.

    “They are now in isolation where they will continue to be monitored and will not be allowed to train or have any physical contact with the rest of the squad(s)”.

  • Joe Brophy

    MORE ON OYAMADA

    Tokyo 2020 organisers had initially rejected Oyamada's resignation.

    The Games' committee said: "In light of his sincere apology, we expressed a willingness to allow Mr Oyamada to continue his work on preparations in the short time remaining before the opening ceremony."

    But they have now apologised and removed the composer from the Opening Ceremony team, describing his bullying as 'absolutely unacceptable'.

  • Joe Brophy

    TOK-NO-GO

    Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony composer Keigo Oyamada has quit his role with the Games after he boasted of bullying a disabled boy.

    The musician, who operates under the moniker Cornelius, made the claims in magazine interviews that led to outrage across Japan.

    The 1990s articles resurfaced after he was hired by Tokyo 2020 organisers, and included claims from his time at school of forcing a mentally-disabled classmate to eat his own feces and masturbate in front of others.

    Oyamada, 52, apologised when the interviews re-emerged and has now handed in his resignation from the team creating Friday's ceremony.

    He said: "I have become painfully aware that accepting the offer of my musical participation in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics lacked consideration to a lot of people.

    "I apologise from the bottom of my heart."

  • Joe Brophy

    PING BOO

    Team GB athletes have admitted they are chilled by the “scary” fear of a Covid ping destroying their Olympic dream.

    So far five athletes have tested positive for the virus, wrecking their Tokyo 2020 ambitions, with tens more including six GB track and field stars placed in isolation.

    Half-miler Daniel Rowden admitted: “It is scary. I felt for all the people in quarantine. It’s the Olympic Games, you’ve worked really, really hard and come in really good shape.

    “But to be locked in a room takes away from your confidence and preparation. There’s a bit of fear that the same thing could happen to us.

    “Those people were on the flight the day before, so there’s trepidation the same thing could happen to people on our flight as well.”

  • Joe Brophy

    VILLAGE PEOPLE

    The world's top athletes are congregating in Tokyo's Olympic Village and many will be eyeing up the opposition… literally.

    While they will be dreaming of winning a medal and doing their country proud, they might get up to more than that in the Harumi waterfront district.

    Ex-German athlete Susen Tiedtke, now 52, competed in Olympics in 1992 and 2000.

    She revealed that it would be impossible to impose a sex ban in the Village.

    Tiedtke told Bild: "[The ban] is a big laughing stock for me, it doesn't work at all."

    "Sex is always an issue in the Village.

    "The athletes are at their physical peak at the Olympics. When the competition is over, they want to release their energy.

    "There is one party after another, then alcohol comes into play. It happens that people have sex and there are enough people who strive for that."

  • Joe Brophy

    GOING FOR GOLD

    Team GB have consistently improved their medal total over the years, starting from the 1996 Atlanta games.

  • Joe Brophy

    PUT RUMOUR TO BED

    A Gymnast has proved Olympians CAN have sex on the cardboard beds at the Tokyo Games, dispelling any lingering rumours.

    It was previously believed athletes would be denied any fun in the bedroom due to the flimsy nature of the beds – but the claim has now been quashed.

    Rhys McClenaghan, one of Ireland's medal hopes at the delayed Olympics, has posted a video on social media to disprove the 'no sex' theory.

    The 21-year-old vigorously jumped up and down on the bed to prove they are very sturdy and will support various activities.

    Watch the video HERE.

  • Joe Brophy

    MAY DAY

    Japan’s football team captain Maya Yoshida has questioned his government’s decision to bar spectators from the Tokyo Olympics.

    The former Southampton ace has insisted the Japanese deserve better as their tax money helped organise the Olympic Games.

    Yoshida said: “A lot of people’s tax money is going to hold these Olympics.

    “Despite that, people can’t go and watch. So you wonder about who the Olympics is for, and what it is for.”

  • Kostas Lianos

    USTA REACTION

    The United States Tennis Association have released a statement supporting Coco Gauff, who had to withdraw from the Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19.

    USTA tweeted: "We were saddened to learn that Coco Gauff has tested positive for COVID-19 and will therefore be unable to participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

    "The entire USA Tennis Olympic contingent is heartbroken for Coco.

    "We wish her the best as she deals with this unfortunate situation and hope to see her back on the courts very soon"

  • Kostas Lianos

    MORE CASES

    One of the alternate, or replacement, gymnasts for the US team has tested positive for coronavirus.

    According to Sky Sports, however, the main team has moved to separate accommodation and is continuing preparation for the Olympics.

    A Japanese official had earlier said one member of the US gymnastics delegation in her teens had tested positive and had one close contact.

    USA Gymnastics said: "One of the replacement athletes for the women's artistic gymnastics team received a positive COVID test on Sunday, July 18"

  • Kostas Lianos

    GAUFF REACTS

    American tennis player Coco Gauff has issued a statement after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Gauff has been ruled out of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and confirmed she won't be participating this year.

    She said: "I'm disappointed to share the news that I have tested positive for COVID and won't be able to play in the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

    "It has always been a dream of mine to represent the USA at the Olympics, and I hope there will be many more chances for me to make this come true in the future"

  • Kostas Lianos

    GEARING UP

    Tokyo is getting ready to host the delayed 2020 Olympic Games.

    The prestigious sporting event was set to take place last year but was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Governing bodies managed to put them together this year but with a certain amount of sacrifices.

    Most notably, the games are going to take place behind closed doors

  • Kostas Lianos

    SURPRISED

    South Africa Team chief medical officer Dr Phatho Zondi admitted they were surprised when Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi tested positive for coronavirus.

    Zondi said: "Every member of Team South Africa required full medical clearance as an eligibility criteria.

    "In addition, they were encouraged to isolate for two weeks pre-departure, monitor health daily, report any symptoms, and produce two negative nasopharyngeal PCR tests taken within 96 hours of departure, as per Tokyo 2020 requirements.

    "The timing of the positive results suggests that the PCR test in these individuals was done during the incubation period of the infection, which is how they could be negative in South Africa and then positive in Japan.

    "They are now in isolation where they will continue to be monitored and will not be allowed to train or have any physical contact with the rest of the squad(s)"

  • Kostas Lianos

    MORE ON SOUTH AFRICA CASES

    South Africa team manager Mxolisi Sibam has confirmed that both football players Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi have tested positive for coronavirus.

    Monyane and Mahlatsi had high temperatures before they were diagnosed with COVID-19.

    Sibam SAID: "Masha and Monyane reported high temperatures and positive saliva tests, and were then taken to do the nasal test.

    "And they unfortunately tested positive for Covid-19"

  • Kostas Lianos

    SOUTH AFRICA UPDATE

    Two South African football players were the first athletes to test positive for COVID-19 in the Olympic Village.

    The South African Football Association confirmed the two players to be diagnosed were Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi.

    South African video analyst Mario Masha and rugby sevens coach Neil Powell have also returned a positive test.

    That takes the total number of confirmed infections for the country to four

  • Kostas Lianos

    DISAPPOINTING NEWS

    Team GB chef de mission Mark England admits it is disappointing to have Six athletes self-isolating.

    But England insists that they "absolutely respect" the Olympics' coronavirus protocols.

    He said: "This is disappointing news for the athletes and staff, but we absolutely respect the protocols in place.

    "We will offer them every support during this period and we are hopeful that they will be able to resume training again soon"

  • Kostas Lianos

    MORE ON TEAM GB ISOLATION

    Six Team GB athletes are self-isolating in Tokyo after being deemed close contacts of an individual who tested positive for coronavirus following their flight to Japan.

    A statement from the British Olympic Association read: "The British Olympic Association can confirm that six athletes and two staff members from the athletics team, who through no fault of their own have been identified as close contacts of an individual – not from the Team GB delegation – who tested positive for Covid-19 following their inbound flight on 16 July 2021.

    "This was identified through Tokyo 2020's reporting service and the group have since started a period of self-isolation in their rooms at the BOA's Preparation Camp, in line with Tokyo 2020's Playbook protocols.

    "The group all tested negative at the airport and have continued to test negative upon arrival into the country. They are under the supervision of the Team GB medical team, led by chief medical officer Dr Niall Elliott.

    "The BOA continue to operate extensive Covid-19 testing protocols and mitigation measures and follow all respective health guidance from the Government of Japan, TOCOG, the IOC and our local partners in Japan"

    GETTY IMAGES
  • Kostas Lianos

    PERUSIC UPDATE

    The Czech Olympic Committee is seeking a postponement to beach volleyball player Ondrej Perusic and his partner’s first game on July 26 after the athlete tested positive for coronavirus.

    Perusic was asymptomatic following his diagnosis and is fully vaccinated.

    Japanese media are also reporting a female gymnast from the United States has returned a positive test at the team’s prep camp in Inzai.

    The name of the athlete, who is in her teens, remains unknown

  • Kostas Lianos

    POSITIVE TEST

    Czech beach volleyball player Ondrej Perusic has tested positive for coronavirus ahead of his scheduled performance in the Tokyo Olympics.

    Sports director of the Czech Olympic Committee Martin Doktor said: "Unfortunately, beach volleyball player Ondrej Perusic has a positive finding from a sample taken during daily testing in the Olympic village on Sunday.

    "It is still fresh information and everything is evolving quickly.

    "We are solving details, including the sport impact"

  • Kostas Lianos

    BAN RAISES QUESTIONS

    Japan's football team captain Maya Yoshida has questioned his government's decision to bar spectators from the Tokyo Olympics.

    The former Southampton ace has insisted the Japanese deserve better as their tax money helped organise the Olympic Games.

    Yoshida said: "A lot of people's tax money is going to hold these Olympics.

    "Despite that, people can't go and watch. So you wonder about who the Olympics is for, and what it is for"

  • Kostas Lianos

    NO FANS

    Olympic Games Executive Director Christophe Dubi hinted that Japan's decision to hold the Olympics behind closed doors could be reviewed.

    A number of sports, such as sumo, basketball and baseball matches, have been taking place in front of a full crowd despite the capital being in a state of emergency until August 22.

    Dubi said: "A state of emergency has been declared for Tokyo and on July 9 we saw the decision was to ban spectators. Obviously, it is a decision that we respect.

    "There was however one sentence which was pleasing that should the situation change the situation could be reviewed.

    "That other sporting events now have fans is a decision that belongs to local authorities. We must respect that"

  • Kostas Lianos

    COVID CASES

    Three more people have tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday, taking the total number of Tokyo 2020 personnel to 58.

    So far, more than 22,000 people have arrived in Japan from overseas.

    Tokyo reported 1,008 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, which marks the fifth straight day with more than 1,000 cases.

    Meanwhile, a total of 10 Team GB members are self-isolating after being designated as ‘close contacts’ of a positive Covid-19 case

    GETTY IMAGES
  • Kostas Lianos

    COVID CRISIS

    A total of 10 Team GB members are self-isolating after being designated as ‘close contacts’ of a positive Covid-19 case.

    The British Olympic Association have confirmed that six athletes and two staff members from the athletics team remain in isolation.

    That is because an individual tested positive on their inbound flight from London on July 15.

    SunSport can exclusively reveal that another two staff members were locked in their hotel rooms in the Olympic village after coming in contact with a positive case two days before.

  • Kostas Lianos

    AUFF THE OLYMPICS

    American tennis star Coco Gauff has withdrawn from the 2020 Olympics after testing positive for Covid-19.

    Gauff would have been the youngest tennis player to compete at the Olympic Games since 2000.

    The 17-year-old would have also been the second youngest US tennis player to play at the Games, behind Jennifer Capriati who won gold at Barcelona in 1992 at the age of 16.

    Gauff joins a number of other athletes who had to withdraw from the Tokyo Olympics after being diagnosed with coronavirus

  • Jack Figg

    GOOD MORNING OLYMPIC FANS

    Rising tennis star Coco Gauff has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for Covid-19.

    Gauff, 17, would have been the youngest tennis player to play at the Olympic Games since 2000.

    And she would have been the second youngest US tennis player to play at the Games, behind Jennifer Capriati, who won gold at Barcelona in 1992 at the age of 16.

    Ten members of Team GB are self-isolating at the troubled Tokyo Olympics after being designated as ‘close contacts’ of a positive Covid case.

    The British Olympic Association confirmed that six athletes and two staff members from the athletics team remain in isolation after an individual tested positive on their inbound flight from London on July 15.

    And SunSport understands that another two staff members were locked in their hotel rooms in the Olympic village after coming in contact with a positive case two days before.

    Ugandan weightlifter Julius Ssekitoleko has gone missing from his nation’s Olympics training camp.

    Ssekitoleko, 20, was part of the Uganda squad who were training in Izumisano, Osaka.

    But while in Japan, the weightlifter failed to qualify for the Games and – along with his coach – was due to fly back to the African nation on Tuesday.

    However, he was discovered missing from his room, with reports claiming he left behind a note saying he wants to stay and work in Japan rather than return to Uganda.

    Source: Read Full Article