Ronaldo’s rape accuser files charges in more powerful federal court to serve lawsuit to footballer in Italy

CRISTIANO Ronaldo's rape accuser moved her legal case against the star to a more powerful court in the US to enable her lawyers to serve the lawsuit to the star in Italy.

Larissa Drohobyczer, who is one of Kathryn Mayorga's attorneys, said the change of venue was a strategic response to the difficulty in serving the legal notice overseas.


"The charges were not dropped," Drohobyczer told ESPN in response to earlier reports the claim had been withdrawn from the Nevada State Court.

"The state case was dismissed by us because we filed the identical claims in federal court due to federal court's rules on serving foreigners.

"We basically just switched venues, but the claims remain."

Reports the case against the Juventus ace had been "dropped" in the Las Vegas courts were first published on Wednesday.

Las Vegas police are also investigating potential criminal charges against Ronaldo, and that investigation remains open.

The 34-year-old football star has long denied allegations he attacked the ex-model at a Las Vegas hotel.

Ms Mayorga filed a complaint last September alleging she was sexually assaulted by the former Manchester United ace in his penthouse suite at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

She claimed while she agreed to a settlement with Ronaldo after the alleged assault, she was suffering severe emotional trauma at the time.


The Sun Online has contacted Leslie Stovall, the Las Vegas lawyer for Ms Mayorga, for comment on the reported developments.

Following the lawsuit , Vegas police reopened an investigation of the rape allegations making headlines around the world.

The New York Times then reported in January that law enforcement officials had requested a sample of the star’s DNA from Italian cops.

Las Vegas police officials didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on the status of the investigation, it's been reported this morning.

Ms May­­orga met Ronaldo – then a 24-year-old Manchester United ace – at nightclub in Vegas in 2009.

Footage showed them dancing in the VIP area of Rain nightclub – inside the glamorous Palms Casino Resort – where then 25-year-old Ms Mayorga worked.

She claims the £100million star then raped her in his luxury suite before paying her £295,000 in “hush money”.

Ronaldo emphatically denied all the explosive claims.

At the time they emerged, he tweeted: "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense."

He followed that tweet with a further message saying he had a completely "clear conscience."

 

Source: Read Full Article