Brazil legend Pele, 81, continues treatment for a colon tumour

Brazil legend Pele, 81, undergoes treatment for a colon tumour as hospital confirms that three-time World Cup winner is ‘stable and expected to be released in the next few days’

  • Pele has returned to hospital to undergo chemotherapy for a colon tumour 
  • The Brazilian, 81, underwent surgery earlier this year to remove the tumour 
  • The hospital said at the time he would need chemotherapy and he has returned
  • Pele is understood to be in a stable condition and will be released soon 

Pele was hospitalized to undergo treatment for a colon tumor, Sao Paulo’s Hospital Albert Einstein have confirmed, adding that the football legend is in stable condition and should be discharged in the next few days.

The 81-year-old three-time World Cup winner with Brazil underwent surgery to remove a colon tumor in September and spent nearly a month hospitalized.

The hospital said at the time that he would need to undergo chemotherapy, and on Wednesday, it was confirmed that the Brazilian is ‘continuing’ his treatment. 

The Albert Einstein Hospital said that Pele is ‘stable and expected to be released in the next few days.’

Pele’s assistant Pepito Fornos revealed that the 81-year-old is having chemotherapy sessions to treat the tumor that was found during routine exams at the end of August.

Pele was briefly put in intensive care after surgery on his right colon. He has spent the past few months recovering at his home in Guaruja, outside Sao Paulo.

Pele has returned to hospital to undergo treatment on a colon tumour discovered this year

Brazilian legend Pele was in hospital earlier this year to undergo surgery on a tumour (pictured in September 2021)

Pele’s daughter Kely (left) regularly provided updates on her father’s health to fans during his last visit (pictured in September 2021)

He has been eager to keep his fans updated on his health status since the tumour was discovered, and in October, alongside a picture of himself, his wife Marcia Aoki, doctors and nurses, Pele wrote: ‘When the path is difficult, celebrate each step of the journey. Focus on your happiness. 

‘It’s true that I can’t jump anymore, but these past few days, I’ve been punching the air more times than usual. I am so happy to be back at home.

‘I want to thank the entire Albert Einstein Hospital team, who made my stay a pleasant one, with a humane and very affectionate welcome.

The Albert Einstein Hospital say Pele is ‘stable’ and will be released in the ‘next few days’

The 81-ywar-old has been recovering with his family since undergoing surgery in September

‘Thanks also to all of you, who from afar, make my life complete with so many messages of love.’ 

Pele won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups, and remains Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.

Pele has suffered a series of health issues over the last decade, particularly with his hip, and he cannot walk unaided.

His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.

His son Edinho said last year his father was depressed, something Pele later denied.

Pele is regarded as Brazil’s greatest ever player and guided his country to three World Cups

Officially, he scored 757 goals during a glittering career – club Santos claim his tally was closer to 1,000 – leaving him behind only Cristiano Ronaldo and Josef Biscan on the all-time list.

Additionally, he was was only recently overtaken as the top international goalscorer in South American history, when Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick for Argentina in their World Cup qualifier last week.

Messi has recorded his huge tally in 153 caps for Argentina, while Pele netted his 77 goals in 92 official matches for Brazil. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article