IT'S all go at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea prepare for a busy summer of transfers.
We've got the very latest as the Blues look set to go back in for Timo Werner and the scramble for Willian hots up.
Follow all the latest updates and gossip from West London below…
GOOD MORNING CHELSEA FANS
Borussia Dortmund are sniffing around for the ‘next Jadon Sancho’ but Chelsea are confident of keeping Charlie Webster.
At 16, the midfielder has represented England at youth level and the Blues are confident they can hold on to the youngster, according to the Telegraph.
But one youngster potentially arriving is Angel Gomes.
Goal report of deadlock in the winger’s contract talks with Manchester United ahead of his expiry at the end of the season.
A £30,000-a-week offer may not be enough to secure Gomes and Chelsea are thought to be waiting in the wings to swoop for a deal.
United may beat the Stamford Bridge club to Moussa Dembele, though.
Several teams are pushing for the Lyon striker and Daily Star report of the Red Devils getting a step ahead in the race.
It is understood that the Frenchman has made it clear to United that he would prefer a move to Old Trafford amid interest from Chelsea.
Meanwhile, doubt has been cast on the Blues’ ability to host matches when the Premier League restarts.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan believes it is “too early” to talk about capital teams getting back in action.
A spokesperson of Khan told the Standard: “Sadiq is extremely keen for the Premier League and professional sport in general to resume.
“However, with the country still in the grips of this crisis, and hundreds of people dying every day, he believes that it is too early to be discussing the resumption of the Premier League and top-flight sport in the capital.”
Chelsea believe they are on the verge of signing Angel Gomes, according to the Mirror.
The Man Utd youngster is out of contract this summer and has already rejected a £30,000 new deal.
And he has recruited super-agent Pini Zahavi, who is said to have held talks with Marina Granovskaia.
FEAR WE GO
Premier League chiefs will today host a crunch meeting to attempt to convince fearful players it is safe to return.
Clubs are aware of growing worry from some stars that they feel forced back into action.
The PFA union will express these doubts in the teleconference but SunSport understands the majority of players are now desperate to get back on the pitch.
And Prem bosses are confident that their safety protocols will convince the rest.
England stars Raheem Sterling, Tyrone Mings and Danny Rose — plus Manchester City’s Argentine striker Sergio Aguero — have publicly voiced fears over football returning while the coronavirus daily death toll is still well into three figures.
At least one representative from each club — either the captain or PFA delegate, or in a number of cases both — will dial in to today’s call ahead of a proposed June 12 restart.
Premier League bosses face an uphill battle to persuade police chiefs to lift the demand to use neutral stadiums.
League chief executive Richard Masters held a virtual meeting with Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the country’s top football cop, and officials from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport after the 20 PL clubs urged him to seek a change in policy.
It was Dep Chf Con Roberts who told Premier League leaders there were 12-15 “high risk” matches that simply could not be played at home venues over fears of fans congregating outside grounds.
That led to the initial decision to proceed with the neutral stadium plan, before clubs united to urge Masters to push for home grounds to be used.
Dep Chf Con Roberts told SunSport in a statement that the meeting had been “positive”, adding: “We will be jointly exploring a range of options to identify a way forward.
“That needs to be one that minimises any risks to public safety and unnecessary pressure on public services but facilitates a sensible restart to the season, to support the economic and morale benefits associated with the sport.”
GO GO GOMES
Manchester United have set themselves a deadline for sealing Angel Gomes’ future amid interest from Chelsea and Arsenal.
Daily Mail report on the club planning to end negotiations by May 21 if a new contract cannot be agreed before it expires at the end of the season.
Barcelona, Inter Milan and Borussia Dortmund are also said to be keen on the 19-year-old.
Gomes has only featured six times for United this season and was earlier said to have been offered a £30,000-a-week deal by the club.
Three years ago today, Antonio Conte’s Chelsea sealed the Premier League title with a late win at West Brom.
Diego Costa eloquently described his feelings afterwards…
Christian Pulisic says barely any Chelsea players spoke to him when he first met the squad as they were half asleep.
Arriving during the club’s pre-season tour of Japan last summer, the American recalled to13&ME podcast: “I had to go straight to the hotel and the next thing on the schedule was to go straight to training.
“I was tired, nervous and didn't know what to think but: 'I'm at Chelsea and this is insane.'
“I got on the bus, they had just arrived as well. Everyone is half asleep, I go and sit on the bus and nobody even noticed me.
“Nobody said anything. There were maybe one or two guys who said: 'Hey, hello' and I was like: 'What's going on here?'
“Those first couple of days of training I was nervous. You know how it's like when you move to a new team.”
Manchester United and Chelsea are thought to be among the teams chasing Fiorentina starlet Federico Chiesa.
Viola director Joe Barone has confirmed that several teams are chasing the young forward, son of Serie A legend Enrico.
He stated to La Gazzetta dello Sport: “Chiesa is a Fiorentina player.
“There are clubs knocking at the door for Chiesa, some of them who speak English.
“We'll see, for the moment we just need to finish the season and he is very concentrated on doing well for us.”
GIAN THE MAN
Chelsea hero Gianluca Vialli has opened up on his treatment for pancreatic cancer.
Now free of the illness after two years of surgery and therapy, the Italian told The Times that he feels his recovery was less of a battle and more of a journey.
He stated: “Nobody wants something like this but when it does, you have to look at it as an opportunity to get to know yourself better — the way you were, the way you are and how you want to be in the future.
“It’s inevitable that you find out about your true self. There was so much I realised I had to work on, to try to improve.
“I hear people say ‘fight with cancer’. It’s not a battle for me. It’s more like a journey. I see it as a journey with an unwanted travel companion and I want to outlast it.”
GREAT LEIP FORWARD
Chelsea remain very much in the hunt for Timo Werner, but are waiting to see what Liverpool decide to do.
The Reds had been expected to trigger the RB Leipzig star's release clause but are reportedly having second thoughts due to the coronavirus crisis.
And if Liverpool choose not to bid then Chelsea believe they are well placed to get their man, according to 90min.
Chelsea’s reported bid for Edin Dzeko failed after the player decided to stay in Rome.
The Bosnian was said to be a major target for the Blues, as well as Inter Milan, in 2018 before they signed Olivier Giroud.
But Dzeko’s wife Amra Silajdzic has stated that playing for Roma in Italy was the striker’s priority.
She told Il Tempo: “When it comes to football we evaluate everything together, however, it was Edin who made this decision.
“I am happy to have stayed. Rome is our second home.”
NO KHAN DO
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan believes that it is still too early to see Premier League football return to the capital.
Top-flight chiefs are hoping to get the league back up and running as soon as possible, with the potential for games to be played behind closed doors at neutral venues.
A number of clubs are unhappy with the idea of surrendering home matches, however – including London trio Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea.
And a spokesperson of Khan told the Standard: “Sadiq is extremely keen for the Premier League and professional sport in general to resume.
“However, with the country still in the grips of this crisis, and hundreds of people dying every day, he believes that it is too early to be discussing the resumption of the Premier League and top-flight sport in the capital.
“As a Liverpool fan, Sadiq of course wants the Premier League to return, but it can only happen when it is safe to do so, and it cannot place any extra burden on the NHS and emergency services.”
Antonio Conte has revealed that John Terry was behind his own standing ovation in his final match for Chelsea.
In the May 2017 win over Sunderland, the defender was substituted in the 26th minute to a massive ovation as he waved goodbye to Stamford Bridge.
And Conte has revealed that Terry himself was behind the plan.
He told Sky Sports: “He decided he wanted this because 26 was his squad number and for me it was a pleasure to give him this opportunity.
“I will never be able to thank him enough. He was very important for me and our team.”
An alleged meeting between Jose Mourinho and Willian did NOT happen, according to the Chelsea winger.
In conversation with Brazilian journalist Gustavo Hofman, the Brazilian denied any offer from Tottenham ahead of his contract expiring in West London.
He said, via HITC: “It is really speculation and sometimes it ends up disturbing the facts a little.
“In this case the rumours are totally lying, I had no offer from Tottenham.
“No conversation either and there is nothing in this news.”
John Terry was a “privilege” to work with, former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has said.
In charge as the centre-back finished his Stamford Bridge career, the Italian spoke incredibly highly of his ex-player.
Conte told Sky Sports: “It was a great privilege for me to be the coach of a Chelsea legend like John Terry.
“We are talking about a top man, a really good man and then a top player. He helped me a lot in my first season in and out of the pitch.
“He was very important in the training ground, during the sessions to keep the concentration standards high.”
TALK TO FRANCO
Ruben Loftus-Cheek could become one of the stars of next season if he can return from his Achilles injury, says Gianfranco Zola.
In listing his favourite players from the Premier League, the Italian named Loftus-Cheek alongside James Maddison and Kevin De Bruyne.
He told Sky Sports: “Last year I liked Ruben Loftus-Cheek very much.
“He's a player that, if he can recover his physical potential, he can be an amazing player.”
Chelsea are confident of keeping hold of young sensation Charlie Webster despite interest from Borussia Dortmund, according to reports.
The 16-year-old has been dubbed the next Jadon Sancho and the Blues plan to tie him down to a professional contract when he turns 17 next year.
Webster is one of the rising stars of the superb Stamford Bridge academy set-up, and has been linked with a move to the Bundesliga giants.
But sources at Chelsea are confident they can hold on to the youngster and watch him break into the first team in years to come, according to the Telegraph.
Dortmund had been alerted that he could be available and hope to swoop — just as they did in taking Sancho from Manchester City in 2017.
But the West Londoners will do their best to make sure he stays put.
BLUE IS THE COLOUR
View this post on Instagram
A different kind of post-match interview! @HazardEden_10 x Diego! 🤣💦 #OTD #CFC #Chelsea
A post shared byChelsea FC (@chelseafc) on
Premier League players are using a WhatsApp group to express fears over Project Restart.
The Government have given the go ahead for the Premier League to resume behind closed doors from June 1 but some of the top flight's biggest stars are worried about returning to work.
The welfare of players is still one of the biggest issues facing the prospective return of matches on June 12 – even though no fans will be in attendance.
And a WhatsApp group containing some of the League's biggest stars is full of concerned messages over the return while coronavirus continues to kill hundreds of people every day in the UK.
Some players reportedly feel their worries are being overlooked so the Government can make political gains by “boosting the nation's morale”, according to the Mail.
Prem clubs will consult their players on the latest plans over the next 48 hours and the stars' concerns will be relayed back to team chiefs during those calls.
ROD ONES OUT
James Rodriguez is in advanced talks with Atletico Madrid over a summer transfer, according to reports.
The news will come as a blow to Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United who have both been linked with the Colombian playmaker.
Real are willing to sell Rodriguez, as his contract expires in the summer of 2021, meaning he is free to negotiate with other clubs in January.
But he is likely to be shipped out before then to ensure Los Blancos can recover some cash for the midfielder.
And Atletico are leading the way, according to prominent Colombian journalist Javier Hernandez Bonnet.
Speaking on Blu Radio, he said: “If Real want to get some money back, they have to close a transfer.
“James has several cards to play, but we have been told he is convinced by Atletico in all aspects – in the sport and in the staff – and it is 80 per cent sure he will be a new player for Atlético Madrid.”
WELL I NEV-ER
Gary Neville has called for Project Restart to be delayed until July as “25 per cent” of players are concerned about playing.
The Government have given the go ahead for the Premier League to resume behind closed doors from June 1.
But the former Manchester United defender has urged the English top-flight to consider pushing back the restart date.
Speaking on Sky Sports' The Football Show, he said: “I don't think anybody is clear, in football or in the country.
“You've all seen the fallout of the rambling mess we had to witness on Sunday night.
“It became a little bit clearer yesterday with the further info that was released, but I think the Premier League were hanging their hat on further guidance that they didn't get.
“Maybe at this moment in time they need to be thinking on a July start rather than a June start. We're getting closer and closer to a deadline.”
Angel Gomes is reportedly close to QUITTING Manchester United amid stalemate over a new £30k-a-week contract offer.
Chelsea could get one over their rivals by prising the 19-year-old away from Old Trafford for free when his deal runs out this summer.
The United starlet's contract expires on July 1 but he is yet to put pen to paper on a new deal with the clock running out.
Old Trafford are desperate to keep the academy graduate in their clutches and have tried to tempt the youngster with hefty new terms.
But as reported by Goal, the negotiations between the youngster and Old Trafford remain in a deadlock.
He was originally offered a £20,000-a-week deal at the start of the season but the hotshot's entourage have been concerned over the ace's lack of first-team game time.
Chelsea have suggested they are willing to match United's contract offer to Gomes with Frank Lampard keen to add the star to his exciting crop of youngsters.
Chelsea legend Petr Cech has named Wayne Rooney as his toughest opponent.
He told Chelsea’s official website: “Every time we played against United I had to make sure I was aware every time he had the ball, because he was very unpredictable and very clever.
“He is a guy who can chase, who can fight, who can run, who is clever with his shot.
“He could score from the halfway line, he could try and chip you if you were too high. That was a challenge I enjoyed.”
PJAN OF ACTION
Chelsea target Miralem Pjanic has reportedly “refused” to join Manchester United to pursue a move to Barcelona.
Cash-strapped Barca are ready to offer Juventus a number of players in return for the Bosnian international.
The Red Devils had hoped to secure the midfielder's services as part of a swap deal for wantaway midfielder Paul Pogba.
Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to inject even more creativity into his midfield, following the signing of Portuguese maestro Bruno Fernandes.
But according to Sport, the 30-year-old has snubbed a move to Old Trafford and PSG after receiving an offer for a dream move to the Nou Camp.
The report claims that the Catalan giants have reached a verbal agreement with Pjanic and have offered up a number of players to secure the Juve star's signature.
ON THIS WAY
Source: Read Full Article